Tuesday, June 8, 2010

He Climbs Mountains Now...Really, It's Nothing


My husband has a knack for picking new hobbies that make me crazy with worry. But whatever, he has fun! For the past several months Dave has been hiking local trails with a group of friends getting prepared for attempting to climb Rainier this summer. They've done crevasse training, avalanche training (don't make me think about it), your-friend-is-falling-down-the-hill-so-hurry-up-and-dig-your-ice pick-and-boots-into-the-snow training - ya know, all the regular everyday problems we all have (bah!) At least he is taking the time to be prepared. I can at least be thankful for that! And he really seems to, ahem, enjoy cold, snowy conditions in high altitudes?! I told him he will never get to enjoy climbing a mountain with ME, because you couldn't pay me to do it, but to each his own.
Last week he attempted to summit Mt Adams. Apparently it's a decently easy climb when the weather is cooperating. Unfortunately, they weren't able to summit due to bad weather, but he had a lot of fun and learned so much. Believe it or not, he's now even more excited to climb. I better get my praying hands ready! ;)

Dave resting up (with hotel teddy bear, of course)

Eric and Paul hiking to the starting point

Eric striking a pose

Dave and Jeff building a snow wall to help block the wind

It's windy! ;)

Dave all decked out in his billions of dollars of climbing gear

The boys' attempt at being artsy. Not bad, not bad


Yay Dave and friends! Now please, keep being safe and smart, and come back to lil Miss Darby and me after every climb :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats just awesome!

Nadine Peters said...

amazing! you are one nice wife... I told my hubby there is no way he is ever climbing a mt... oh, I'm mean!

Stefanie said...

Seriously, what a great accomplishment. Good for him! Makes me want to do it.


He better be extra safe though. Eep!